Graduate Students


There are many aspects to your Academic Journey at Rutgers and carving a path to earning your degree. Below you will find links to connect you to key information designed to help you along the way.

Course Planning

The foundation for a successful academic career is making sure you have a clear plan for completing all the courses required for your major and degree. Your advisor serves as the navigator on your ship sailing towards graduation. Although there are many tools at Rutgers to help you navigate your degree program on your own, at times you may need the help of your advisor to keep you on track. It is highly recommended that you meet with your advisor at least once a year, if not once a semester to confirm you are on the right path to graduate on time.

There are many tools available to help you plan your semester courses in advance. We recommend students become familiar with these tools to assist in their discussions with advisors and mapping out their degree progress:


How to use the Schedule of Classes

How to use the Course Schedule Planner

How to use the Degree Navigator


Students are responsible for monitoring the accuracy of their registration throughout each semester. For more information on registration and tutorials please refer to the online Rutgers Student Success “How To” guides, including how to use Webreg, an online system for matriculating students to register, change, or add/drop courses to your class schedule.


Registration access will vary depending on a student’s matriculation status. For continuing students, registration priority is set by the number of credits completed. Please refer to the category below which best describes your “student type” for additional information.

New Graduate Students

If you are a new graduate student starting your degree you should work with your advisor for assistance with registration. They will be able to guide you through the webreg system and help you register for your first semester of courses.

Continuing Graduate Students

Students continuing their graduate studies will gain access to webreg on the first day of pre-registration to register for classes. Please work with your advisor if you have questions about what courses you should be registering for.

Registration Policies

If you are looking for additional policies not included here, please refer to the appropriate university catalog online.


The add/drop period generally occurs during the first two weeks of the semester. During this time, students may add and drop courses to finalize their registrations. Add/drop dates are determined by the University Senate prior to the beginning of the semester, and it can vary each semester. Also, the Senate’s decision supersedes any previously advertised add/drop dates. Therefore, students must check their campus specific website at the beginning of each semester to determine the latest registration information available.

COURSE LOAD (Full-Time and Part-Time Status)

Students are charged a flat tuition rate unless they are taking a credit load considered less than full-time.  If students are taking a credit load less than full-time they will be charged per credit they are taking.  If they are taking a full-time credit load students are charged a flat tuition rate and permitted to take additional credits (up to the maximum credit limit) for no additional cost.

A full-time graduate student is defined as one who is taking at least 9 credits per semester, depending on departmental requirements. A part-time student is one taking fewer than 9 credits per semester. All courses, including those taken not-for-credit, are counted in computing credits taken.


The maximum credit load is usually not in excess of 18 credits. Mason Gross Graduate Students may register for up to 20 credits in any given term.  School of Graduate Studies students may register for up to 16 credits in any given term.


Undergraduate students who wish to register for courses webreg blocks because of a scheduling conflict (due to the time, days, or location of the course) must request an override from their department’s adviser by providing written evidence from one or both instructors stating the student will either be excused to arrive late or leave early from at least one of the two courses.

Students will only be approved for a schedule conflict override if meeting times slightly overlap (due to estimated travel time). They will not be approved if an entire meeting time conflicts.

When there is an overlap scheduling conflict it is advisable that students register for the class which they believe may reach the stop point (fill up) first while they await the scheduling conflict override to be approved and processed.

All requests for conflict overrides submitted prior to the first day of classes will be processed before the end of the add/drop period.


After the second week of classes, the only routinely permissible changes of registration are withdrawals from individual courses or withdrawal from all courses. Both procedures are allowed without academic penalty until the end of the eighth week, and either may be accomplished by a form that is available from the graduate registrar.

Students withdrawing from a course after the eighth week need the approval of the dean’s office. They also are required to provide a letter from the instructor indicating their academic status in the course, and are subject to receiving a failing grade at the discretion of the instructor.

A student who stops attending a course without notifying the registrar will receive a grade of F in that course. No refunds of tuition are given for individual course withdrawals after the second week of classes.


At times, students may experience personal circumstances or hardships preventing them from completing a semester. When this happens students may be advised or elect to take a full withdrawal from all classes.

Students withdrawing from all courses with the intent to return to their program in the future will be initiating a leave of absence.

Students withdrawing from all courses who do not intend on returning to complete their degree are withdrawing from the university.

A student who withdraws from all courses, may receive a partial refund according to the rules described on the Student Accounting website.

Withdrawal is not permitted during the last two weeks of classes.

More information on withdrawing from all courses can be found on the Scarlet Hub website.

Transfer Credit

Students may apply for transfer of graduate credit from another accredited graduate institution after they have accumulated 12 credits in graduate courses in the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) or Master of Music (MM) program at the Mason Gross School of the Arts.

It is the student’s responsibility to meet with the graduate director or adviser in their department and request transfer credit evaluation by providing official transcripts which indicate the student received a grade of B or better in the course for which they are requesting to receive credit.


Coming soon.