Apply Now  Your Rutgers Status  Create Your InfoPacket  Student Blogs

Transfer Students (click on the category below to expand with explanation):

  • You are considered a transfer student if: (click here)

    • You are considered a transfer student if you are a high school graduate who will have completed at least 12 college credits since high school and before your expected date of entry into Rutgers. (This excludes current high school students who are also taking college courses.) Transfer students use the same application as all other students.

  • Mason Gross offers the following program options for transfer applicants: (click here)

    Dance Performance (Bachelor of Fine Arts/BFA)
    Dance Five-Year Dual Performance and Education (BFA/EdM)
    • Filmmaking (Bachelor of Fine Arts/BFA)
    Music Performance (Bachelor of Music/BM)- CLASSICAL: voice, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, trumpet, horn, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion, violin, viola, cello, double bass, piano, organ, harp, classical guitar.
    Music Education (Bachelor of Music/BM)- vocal, instrumental or jazz concentrations
    Music Jazz (Bachelor of Music/BM)- JAZZ: saxophone, trumpet, trombone, piano, electric bass, acoustic bass, drums, guitar
    Music Composition (Bachelor of Music/BM)
    Theater Acting (Bachelor of Fine Arts/BFA)
    Theater Design (Bachelor of Fine Arts/BFA)
    Theater Production (Bachelor of Fine Arts/BFA) - Includes Stage Management and Technical Direction.
    Visual Arts/Fine Arts (Bachelor of Fine Arts/BFA) - drawing, graphic design, media, painting, print, photography, sculpture.

    *The School of Arts and Sciences also offers general Bachelor of Arts/BA degree programs in the major areas of Art & DesignDanceMusic, and Theater.  An application to the School of Arts and Sciences is required in order to considered for admission to the BA arts programs.

  • Academic Entrance Requirements for Mason Gross School of the Arts: (click here)

    Transfer students applying for entrance to the Mason Gross School of the Arts must submit an official transcript of any college credit they received equaling at least 12 credits by the time of their application. Students who have not completed any college courses in the artistic area they wish to pursue may be required to start as a first-year student in a Mason Gross Degree program regardless of the number of college credits they have earned.

    Transfer students must also submit an official high school transcript or its equivalent to the office of admissions which demonstrates proof of graduation and also fulfillment of these academic requirements:
    English: four years
    Foreign Language: none required; two years of one language recommended
    Mathematics: three years, including algebra I, geometry, algebra II
    Science: none required
    Other courses: nine other academic courses - such as history, humanities, science, foreign languages, etc.
    Total: 16 academic courses
    Certain High School courses not completed can be substituted for courses completed in college if demonstrated on the applicant’s college transcript.
    New Jersey community college transfer students may consult for information about transfer credit.
    For more information about how Rutgers University evaluates transfer students for admission please visit:
    *Academic requirements for other Rutgers colleges may be found here.

  • How we make decisions: (click here)

    Admissions decisions for applicants to the Mason Gross School of the Arts are based upon our faculty's evaluation of talent and comprehensive review of the entire application. Our first emphasis is placed on the audition, interview or portfolio and then on the student’s academic promise as demonstrated by:
    • strength of academic program
    • grade trends
    • weighted grade-point average(s)cumulative grade-point-average (GPA)
    • number of credits completed and types of courses taken
    • English Proficiency Examination results, for non-native English speakers
    We also consider such qualitative factors as:
    • community, volunteer, or U.S. military service
    • employment history
    • special talents
    • essay
    • family obligations
    • special talents
    • socioeconomic background

    Mason Gross School of the Arts does not follow minimum SAT or ACT score standards nor do we adhere to minimum GPA or class ranks to determine a students eligibility for admission. When reviewing academics the admissions committee looks at students holistically. We consider how the student performs throughout their entire academic and professional career focusing on the subject areas which most closely relate to the artistic and academic skills needed to complete a Mason Gross degree program. Namely academic performance in the subjects of English, humanities, social sciences is weighted more heavily than performance in math and science. Students should demonstrate strong skills in English composition, comprehension and communication.

    It is recommended that transfer students have covered basic college level courses in the artistic area to which they are applying. Mason Gross degree programs are intense professional degrees in the arts. Transfer students who wish to enter without college level courses in their major course of study will likely be required to enroll as a first year student.

    The number of applicants Mason Gross admits is determined by the quality of the applicant pool (which changes from year to year and may vary for each Mason Gross Department) as well as the space available in each department.

    We review applications when they are complete with all required credentials submitted by the due dates.

  • Transfer Credit: (click here)

    When can I have my credit evaluated?
    • Credit evaluations are typically completed after transfer students have been admitted and confirmed their intention to enroll. In general, credit is granted for courses taken at accredited colleges and universities if they are the equivalent of courses offered by Rutgers University and students earned a grade of at least a C. However, individual courses are evaluated by the faculty and/or the school/college before credit is officially granted. You may find it helpful to review Rutgers' course content information in our catalogs and on our NJ Transfer web site (for New Jersey community college students).

    How is credit in artistic courses evaluated?
    Transfer students entering a professional degree at Mason Gross typically do not enter at a level higher than second year due to the very strict artistic curriculum required for Mason Gross Degree programs. Each department has their own way to evaluate artistic credit.

    • ART & DESIGN - Transfer students entering our BFA Visual Arts program who wish to place out of foundation level courses must submit a prerequisite waiver portfolio. A prerequisite is waived upon positive portfolio review by area faculty. Although transfer students may have taken a course that has the same name as a course in our Visual Arts curriculum, students must still demonstrate they have successfully covered the same material as the course offered by Mason Gross. If your portfolio does not successful demonstrate completion of the same material, you may not be eligible to place out of the course. Students who gain foundation waivers may place into a second (typical) or third (rare) year level of study. Students who do not receive a waiver will be required to start at a first year level. Instructions on how to submit a prerequisite waiver portfolio are sent to each student once they are admitted and send in their deposit for enrollment.


    DANCE - Transfer BFA Dance student's artistic level is determined by the college courses they have completed in dance in combination with the artistic merit demonstrated at the time of their audition. Dance students may transfer in at the second (typical) or third (rare) year level, and some may be asked start their course of study from the first year.


    MUSIC - Transfer Bachelor of Music student's artistic level is determined by completion of college courses in applied music ensembles and private lessons, artistic merit demonstrated at the time of their audition, and by their placement testing level in theory, piano and aural training. Music students may transfer in at the second (typical) or third (rare) year level, and some many may have to start their course of study from the first year.


    THEATER - Transfer students entering a BFA program in our Theater Department are required to begin their studies as a first year student and complete the entire 3 and a half years of study, regardless of credit earned at other institutions. Liberal arts credit will be accepted as stated above, but the amount of those transferred credits will not affect the amount of time it takes to complete their BFA degree.