MA, PhD Application Information
- Rutgers University Application: January 1
- Mason Gross Talent Assessment: January 15
Rutgers University Application
All applicants must complete and submit the Rutgers University Application. The university application requires the following:
- Online application
- $70 Rutgers application fee
- One official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended
- Letters of recommendation, as required by the program
- A personal statement
- Current test results, as required by the program
- Supporting materials, as required by the program
Mason Gross Talent Assessment
- $55 submission fee
- Music questionnaire
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Supporting materials (as listed below)
The Talent Assessment should include 3-5 original compositions (no arrangements) including written scores along with either live or high-quality MIDI recordings. The compositions should reflect the full range of the applicant’s work. In addition, applicants should submit one article-length sample of scholarly writing which demonstrates their potential to conduct graduate-level research (for example, a term paper from a theory or musicology seminar). On the supplemental application, applicants will select a preferred interview date either Saturday, February 4, or Saturday, February 18. Finalists will be notified of their interview date and time by January 15.
The Talent Assessment should include analytical papers and/or graphs. Sample works of modal tonal compositions are welcome. Music theory faculty will contact applicants directly to schedule an interview.
The Talent Assessment should include research papers. Musicology faculty will contact applicants directly to schedule an interview. Applications in musicology will be accepted only for the Master of Arts program. The PhD program in musicology has been temporarily suspended, and entering MA students should not expect to continue to the PhD at Rutgers.